2 Day Workshop – Price £120
21st-22nd February 2015
Saturday and Sunday, 9.30-17.00
This workshop is recommended for students that have attended the basic Alla Prima course.
The aim of the workshop is to build on the previous course. Applying the principles with a live model, working with proportion, measurements and the colour theory taught in the basic workshop. Louis will be on hand to remind people and demonstrate each step in front of the class.
For this workshop we will be working with a live model. There will be a maximum of 10 people. With no more than 5 people per model so they can be nearer the subject for closer inspection.
- Wash drawing going straight into shaping the masses with some tips on how to measure and the proportions of the face.
- Blocking in – Blocking in the general field colours of face, hair, clothes and background.
- Refining the shapes of mass colour and tone.
- Colour Mixing – Pre-mixing some general tones to be used in the portrait.
- Colours of the face – how to see and emphasise the colour in the face.
- Colour Theory – The difference between warm and cool colour, how colours react to each other. Complementary colours how and why they work together. The influence of surrounding colour.
- Working wet-on-wet – How to blend one colour into another and broken colour techniques.
The studio is equipped with easels and work stations to make it more convenient for the students to organise their materials and focus on their work. The studio is also lit with balanced lighting which can save a lot of problems when dealing with a colour palette.
- Image shows the workstation, the Alla Prima painting is for display purpose.
Materials Deal = £20
Each workstation includes;
- Palette Palette knife
- Medium holder
- Medium Thinners
- Prepared Canvas
- Kitchen roll
- Paints (cadmium yellow, cadmium orange, cadmium red, alizarin crimson, violet, phthalo blue, phthalo green, burnt umber and white)
(Offer does not include brushes – Information on dedicated suppliers shall be provided)
Workshop = £120
2 day Advanced Alla Prima Workshop = £120. To register for the workshop, fill in your details and pay a 20% deposit below. Then pay the balance on the day. An email will be sent to confirm your attendance the week before the start date.
Note, if you have a problem booking with your device, use a desktop or contact Louis Smith.
Saturday and Sunday, 9.30-1700.
Prices for Hotels in Manchester centre vary depending on the football. I would recommend staying in Altrincham its about 20 mins from Cornbrook Tram Station which is around the corner from the studio. If your on foot the Premier Inn is a short walk from Altrincham Station if your driving there are other hotels that are cheaper. Altrincham is a nice part of Manchester and if you fancy somewhere nice posh for a couple of drinks then Hale is just around the corner.
Below is a link for hotels in Altrinham just enter the dates at the top of the page for prices.
Louis Smith Art
Set navigation for Cawdor Street. Ellesmere Street is blocked in the middle for the next year. If you are traveling by car enter Ellesmere Street by turning left after the Church on the roundabout over the Mancunian Way.
Free Car Park at the rear of the building on Cawdor Street.
Public Transport, trams, buses timetables and parking, click here>>